Pages

8/19/13

Modern China Cafe




One of the things I miss most since going gluten free is going out for Dim Sum with my grandparents. It was a monthly tradition to drive to our favorite Chinese restaurant and talk for hours. We'd order sweet dumplings, sticky noodles, and spicy meat dishes, sipping hot tea in between bites.

After giving up gluten, I was convinced that I would never have authentic Chinese food again. But I recently had the opportunity to dine at Walnut Creek's Modern China Cafe. And let's just say, my dinner there changed all that...

Upon viewing Modern China's menu, I almost passed out. I mean really, I could not believe that one establishment offers so many gluten free dishes! From Mongolian beef to vegetable chow fun, there's quite a range of available options.

We had a large party and were lucky enough to speak with one of the head chefs (who sweetly offered to make a batch of gluten free dumplings for our table) Although I liked pretty much everything we ordered, a few dishes stood out:

Honey Walnut Prawns - creamy and just sweet enough
Mongolian Beef - it's fragrant sauce packs a punch
Chinese Broccoli - a tasty way to get your greens 
Vegetable Chow Fun - tastes just like the real thing (because it is, just with a gf sauce)
Roast Chicken Lettuce Cups - the rich plum sauce is awesome

Needless to say, I'll definitely be going back to Modern China Cafe soon. Aside from being a fun night out, my dinner there reminded me that being gluten free doesn't mean giving up my favorite meals, or family traditions :)

1 comment:

  1. I've been to this restaurant; it's as great as you indicate; lots of carefully prepared fresh and tasty choices. Great service, too.

    ReplyDelete