Pages

10/24/13

Schar

When you first give up gluten, your body goes through a period of shock. Personally, mine asked tons of questions and demanded to know what on earth I was doing. What's going on here? Why can't I have any birthday cake? What about that delicious bread I used to eat everyday? Although this process occurs differently for each person, it is inevitable to miss gluten at some point. But after being gluten free for awhile, you start to forget about those foods you used to miss so much. I'm happy to say that I don't crave sandwiches nearly as much as I used to when I pass my favorite deli after work.

For the record, I'm not saying that gluten free substitutes are useless. There are plenty of items on the market that, dare I say it, rival their gluten-containing counterparts. And whenever I come across these products, I feel the need to spread the word!


Hence the purpose of this post. Schar is a New Jersey based company that makes everything from gf cookies to sandwich rolls. I recently had the opportunity to try some of their sourdough bread-and I have to admit that I don't like a lot of the gf breads that I've eaten. Nonetheless, I was intrigued by the sourdough flavor and thought it was worth a try!

Schar's bread was pretty tasty-not too chewy of a texture and was able to hold it's own beneath my tuna melt. I'd go as far as to say that it tasted "just like the real thing." But who knows? I guess the real test would be to make a sandwich for one of my non gf friends and see if they can tell the difference!

Do you have a favorite gf brand or product? Tell me about it - I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment