Pages

6/2/14

Grocers Going Gluten Free



The grocery store gluten free scene has changed dramatically during the past decade. I'm not just talking about upscale places like Whole Foods and Bristol Farms, both of which carry an impressive selection of allergy-friendly items. During my recent travels around the US, I've noticed gf items popping up in stores like Safeway and even Walgreens. 

Above is an example of such an item - a brand called Amy's carries a lot of gf and allergen-free items. All meals are naturally made and contain organically sourced ingredients - perfect for a healthy & hearty meal. Other frozen brands include Evol (delicious teriyaki bowls!) an Applegate Naturals. Beyond frozen entrees, these stores offer options like baking mixes, cereals, and gf protein bars. I just made pancakes with a Simply Organic mix I found at Raley's - stay tuned for a post!

This marks a huge turning point for gluten free, dairy free, and nut free diners. The implementation of labels and larger gf sections at supermarkets creates a new convenience that many of us have not experienced. It also marks the end of an era - a frustrating time of seeking out specialty shops that cater to our food needs. 

Where do you like to shop for gf items?


*photo by glutenfreenews.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for providing the good list of brand names; I will be looking for them. And will be recommending them to the grocers where I shop. I like Nob Hill Market; I have found some good GF items there.

    ReplyDelete